Saturday 4 February 2012

Dirty weekends



Years ago, before I met my husband, I was invited away on a dirty weekend.  I was a single girl.  The man concerned was (I am embarrassed to say) living with someone, but he had the ‘hots’ for me, and invited me away for the weekend.

I was under no illusion that this weekend was going to ‘lead to something’.  I was very young.  He was much older and more affluent.  He was going to take me to a lovely hotel, have sex, and go home afterwards without a second thought.

In a moment of stupid bravado, I said ‘yes’. 

Within moments of having said ‘yes’, I realized I had made a terrible mistake.  It was a mistake I have regretted ever since. 

In practical terms, I am fully aware that I was not (by a long shot) the only one to fall for his charms.  Whilst I feel guilty that his girlfriend would have been devastated, had she known, the real villain was the man himself.  After all, he was the one in the relationship with her. 

So, my only experience of a ‘dirty weekend’ was the one I spent with Jonathan.  And it was horrendous.  For the week between the invitation and the actual ‘event’ I was desperate to call it off… But his enthusiasm paralysed me.  And so I went ahead with it.

From the moment he picked me up in his sporty car, until the moment I got back home, it felt ‘dirty’.  And not ‘dirty’ in a good way!

So here I am now, over 20 years later, with the physical desires a single woman of my age has, wishing for a dirty weekend.  But I know it’s not all it’s cut out to be.

So why is it, that despite the fact that women have needs just as much as men do, I can’t just ‘go for it’.  Accept the offer of a ‘no-strings’ encounter, to satisfy these needs, and take it for what it is. 

And I guess the real answer is, that the real need I have is for someone to want me because they love me.  Without that love, the need will never be satisfied.

Sometimes, I really wish I was a man…

6 comments:

  1. Yes, that stuff doesn't work the same way for us, does it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yoy are very decent woman and i like the way you write

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I appreciate your comment...

      Delete
    2. Hi Lars, please don't tar all men with the same brush. I had a passionless marriage and after the split met someone who I loved and still love. The physical side was wonderful not just the sex but the passion and the lust. Distance and one or two other things meant she ended the relationship but we are still very good friends. She'd like benefits added to that friendship (it works for a friend of hers apparently). It's not for me, while I truly miss it and I'm running a cold bath as I type :-) I can only see one of us thinking there's more to it than just the sex and getting hurt again (me).
      Your thoughts and reasons are right. You will find what you want. It will be better and it will be sooner than you think.
      Best wishes Spanner x

      Delete
    3. Fear not! I do not tar all men with the same brush. In fact, I get annoyed when people constantly remark 'that's men for you...'. I honestly believe that there are good people and bad people. Gender has nothing to do with 'goodness' and 'badness'. And you are right to stick to your guns. 'Friends with benefits'? I just think it's one person taking advantage of the other person's hope, that it will become something more... You are worth more than that!

      Delete

Facebook Like Button