Thursday 13 October 2011

Divorce may be devastating, but there are upsides too



I recently had a conversation with a friend about how my life was progressing post divorce.  I have two young children.  I would be lying if I said it wasn’t difficult.  But it was even harder to be married to someone who made me deeply unhappy.

As it got me thinking about the subject, I decided to jot down some of the upsides.  The thoughts that keep me going when I’m tired and stressed. 

I thought I’d share them…

  • When I get dressed up to go out, I can rely on my young son to tell me “Mummy, you look beautiful”.  To be beautiful in the eyes of my own child, negates the need for anyone else to think so.

  • I no longer have to watch someone smother the delicious meal I’ve lovingly made, with ketchup.

  • I can leave a party when I feel like it.  And if I misbehave and say something I shouldn’t have, I won’t be nagged all the way home, and all through the next day.

  • I get to watch what I want on the TV. 

  • I get every other weekend off….  And if I have a hangover, I can lie in peace on the sofa, with no one bothering me. 

  • My girlfriends are 10 times more interested in what I’m up to than they used to be!

  • No one wants to discuss home improvements with me.

  • I don’t have to spend time with my former parents in law.

  • I don’t have to do another adult’s laundry.

  • There are never bits of stubble or toothpaste in my bathroom sink.

  • I get to hang out with my gay friends and can make social arrangements without having to consult someone.


And last, but by no means least….

  • I am free to be myself, to express myself, indulge my smutty sense of humour, and reclaim some of my long lost self-confidence. 


Until recently, I hadn’t realised quite how much all of these changes had improved my life.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Facebook Like Button