Thursday 25 August 2011

The Unbearable Lightness of Being and things that make me "Ping"



Many years ago, in my late teens, before kids, when I had time to read books and did so avidly, I read a powerful novel:  The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera. 

That was a long time ago.  I can no longer remember the detail or even the names of the characters.  But what I do remember, is the meaning I took from the book:

How unbearable it is to live life, when it amounts to nothing. 

It struck a chord with me, because I have always had a deep rooted desire to find and achieve a ‘thing’ that makes my life amount to something.  

As a parent, I could claim that being a good mother is a ‘thing’ that amounts to something.  And in itself, it is.  But it’s just not ‘the thing’ I’m after.  It’s not the ‘thing’ that makes me ‘ping’ – so to speak!!!

I have no desire for fame.  I like my anonymity.  A fortune is always handy, but it’s not the end in itself. 

Being single again has focused my mind on the need to achieve this goal in life.  And I realise that focusing on this ‘goal’ is what is driving me forward. 

My writing is a large part of this and I am beginning to feel that I’m on the right track.  When I get feedback from my blog, when people are kind enough to contact me, because the thoughts I have put down in words have struck a chord with them, then I feel that I am beginning to amount to something. 

I think we all have this need.  What achieves it for us may vary hugely, but we all need it.

My blog needs to get bigger and I need to keep finding more readers and followers… but as I sit here today, knowing that this will be read in Arizona, Texas, Australia and Newcastle (and hopefully quite a few other places along the way) I feel that I may have found the thing that will ultimately make my life bearable.

Please keep reading….

Oh - just a quick one...  I discovered this woman on a friends' blog.  I'm really getting into her...  so I thought I'd share this with you...




No comments:

Post a Comment

Facebook Like Button