Sunday 10 July 2011

Kids? Love 'em - but couldn't eat a whole one....


Sharing your kids success


Like most parents out there, I really love my kids. 

They are alternately funny, cheeky, naughty, kind and thoughtful.  And as they share the same gene pool, I clearly think that they are beautiful!

Enough, I hear you say, as you reach for the bucket!  We all love our kids and we all think that they’re better than everyone else’s.  It is right and proper that we feel this way.  But it can be irritating to constantly hear other people bragging about their kids.

When you’re on your own, you don’t have another adult to share the joy of your kids’ success.  And that’s quite hard. 

This thought crossed the mind of a friend of mine the other day.  And so she very kindly rang me up to tell me:  “I hear that your little one won the 200m race at school the other day.  You must be so thrilled.”  She then went on to make the exact point I’ve made above.  She told me that she thinks my kids are great and that I should be really proud of them.  I am.  And it was wonderful to be able to have the congratulatory conversation I would previously have had with my husband.

It was a kind and thoughtful thing to do.  The impact of an act of kindness can never be underestimated. 

I am, of course, incredibly proud of my kids.  I’m not saying that to brag or be irritating.  It’s just that sometimes I need to be able to tell someone!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Facebook Like Button